It Seems More and More People Not Answering the Phone.Door Knocking Might Be the Wave of the Future

As far as the first question I'm slowly diversifying to selling gul,med sups and annuities.Im getting tired of selling people with so little ability to pay. I'm getting tired of coming home with my clothes smelling of smoke and cat piss.Im tired of seeing people with copd and on oxygen still smoking.Newby since you've been in the business so long and so med supps you can pick and choose your clients. And it sure don't hurt your making a bundle in overides. But what attracted me to Fe is quick payment of commissions .Many Guls take 8 weeks to get issue so you'd starve. Med supp is great longer term with level commissions but the first few yrs you starve as the up front commissions low

If you want quick turn around on commissions and the ability to choose a higher quality client than the "typical" FE client, perhaps you should consider cancer and accident products. Almost no underwriting, no phone interviews, first year commissions about 2 1/2 times med supp, strong lifetime renewals. No cat pee and good money. :)

As far as the first question I'm slowly diversifying to selling gul,med sups and annuities.Im getting tired of selling people with so little ability to pay. I'm getting tired of coming home with my clothes smelling of smoke and cat piss.Im tired of seeing people with copd and on oxygen still smoking.Newby since you've been in the business so long and so med supps you can pick and choose your clients. And it sure don't hurt your making a bundle in overides. But what attracted me to Fe is quick payment of commissions .Many Guls take 8 weeks to get issue so you'd starve. Med supp is great longer term with level commissions but the first few yrs you starve as the up front commissions low

I am enjoying this friendly banter here. This was a very good thread thanks to all of the seasoned agents for sharing their 2 cents. I have both feet in ... In 2015 so trying to absorb like a sponge.

In no way is DK more efficient than the phone in developing leads.

We developed over 300 leads yesterday and that was a normal day and it was all done over the phone.

To be fair though we dialed 142,000 numbers, out of those we had answering machines and no answers etc, we made contact with about 22,000

Each agent made about 500 contacts. or 3200 dials and each agent developed about 6 leads.

In no way can you make contact with 500 people or even DK 3200 homes in a day.

Can you door know every single day and get 6 leads? Maybe.

But I am pretty sure the phone is still more efficient than your feet and knuckles.

Just an opinion.

Are you talking like Aflac and colonial and payroll deduction?

No.. That is one aspect of it, but I have never liked the payroll market.. Why, I don't know?? I prefer individual sales.. I like Central United and intend to use Washington National more in the future since CUL doesn't issue above 69 if I am ever able to get back in the field. United National has a good product but they are not in Georgia. Equitable Life and Casualty has a decent little base policy for older folks. I prefer a company that can give a choice of lump sum plans or expense incurred. I also prefer an app that does not require the spouse's signature so if I write the hairdresser at her shop, she can buy a family plan without my ever having to see the husband or give him a chance to say no. ;)... I do not recruit but if you want contact information for an IMO with either of those companies, PM me. You might consider the products for cross selling your current clients.

----------

In no way is DK more efficient than the phone in developing leads.

We developed over 300 leads yesterday and that was a normal day and it was all done over the phone.

To be fair though we dialed 142,000 numbers, out of those we had answering machines and no answers etc, we made contact with about 22,000

Each agent made about 500 contacts. or 3200 dials and each agent developed about 6 leads.

In no way can you make contact with 500 people or even DK 3200 homes in a day.

Can you door know every single day and get 6 leads? Maybe.

But I am pretty sure the phone is still more efficient than your feet and knuckles.

Just an opinion.

The old standard for canvasing was 8/3/1 .. 8 contacts =3 interviews =1 sale. I did it for years....Held true when prospecting for life, for FE, for Med Supp and For supplemental health. Never have heard anyone say how many doors you had to knock to get the 8 contacts but I would say it was about 25.

In no way is DK more efficient than the phone in developing leads. We developed over 300 leads yesterday and that was a normal day and it was all done over the phone. To be fair though we dialed 142,000 numbers, out of those we had answering machines and no answers etc, we made contact with about 22,000 Each agent made about 500 contacts. or 3200 dials and each agent developed about 6 leads. In no way can you make contact with 500 people or even DK 3200 homes in a day. Can you door know every single day and get 6 leads? Maybe. But I am pretty sure the phone is still more efficient than your feet and knuckles. Just an opinion.
I sure hope you don't get cauliflower ear with all that time on the phone.

The thread is not about canvassing or generating leads. The OP was questioning if he should call his direct mail leads to set an appt, or just go door knock said DM lead.

I sure hope you don't get cauliflower ear with all that time on the phone. The thread is not about canvassing or generating leads. The OP was questioning if he should call his direct mail leads to set an appt, or just go door knock said DM lead.

I guess I should've read more that's my fault as for doorknocking direct mail Leads I would call to set an appointment the ones you couldn't get a hold of that are in the same area door knock and the ones you can't get a hold at all then I would set one day a week for just door knocking.

Wow its getting hard to get people to answer the phone with DM leads.I'm wondering if the FE business might become a door knocking business in the future. It just seems if people don't recognize a #they won't answer the phone.

Last Jan was my worse month of the year but this month has been average for me with lots of contact and appointments. Try using the Google phone thingy so your calls look like they are a local number.

Also, this is a popular month for TM leads so they are getting lots of calls.

----------

I've had appt setters and the problem is they waste 1/2 the leads by saying "person not interested" because they're not fighting for the appt and giving up on the first no.

Yep, appointment setters are never as good as the agent and as far as i'm concerned are a waste of money if you're not working a lot of leads each week.

Last Jan was my worse month of the year but this month has been average for me with lots of contact and appointments. Try using the Google phone thingy so your calls look like they are a local number.

Also, this is a popular month for TM leads so they are getting lots of calls.

----------

You are fortunate to live in an area were the temps are optimal for working. In this area, when we have cold spells, seems a lot of us old folks seem to go into hibernation mode.

OK, so let's say you've got quite a few prospects who are, for one reason or another, not accessible by way of door knocking. (And BTW, leaving a sticky note on the door isn't generating a favorable response). But whenever you call them, you get the answering machine.

Is it ever a good idea to leave a message on their answering machine? I'm thinking sometimes, it might be the only way to get their attention.

Back