It Seems More and More People Not Answering the Phone.Door Knocking Might Be the Wave of the Future

Works 9 out of 10 times? I GUARANTEE you it doesn't work that often.

You are forgetting the obstacles that door knocking brings about:

-The people that aren't home
-The people that are home, looking through the peephole, but won't open the door
-The people that will only yell through the screen door at you but NEVER let you in
-The people that live in gated areas (few, but there are areas where it's more prevalent)
-The people that get mad because you showed up to their house

...AND MANY MORE...

I've done this business MANY DIFFERENT ways.

ONLY door knocking (SEVERAL CONSECUTIVE MONTHS I did it this way ONLY)

ONLY SET APPTS (SEVERAL CONSECUTIVE MONTHS I did it this way ONLY).

And I have, of course, done a combo of both.

My findings:

Door knocking was the LEAST EFFICIENT and effective way of doing business for me. I made the least amount of AP running business using this strategy. You can spend a whole day door knocking, knock 20+ doors and not get a single sit. To door knockings defense, I NEVER door knocked with more than 30 leads per week.

A BETTER way of doing this business for me was a combo of BOTH. Still working with 30 leads, I would call to set as many appointments as possible and door knock those that hang up or didn't have phone numbers ect...I found that my AP improved and found it was a more efficient way to conduct business.

The BEST way I have found to do this business, is the way I have been working lately. I have been getting more leads than ever before (40/week). I'm having 10K weeks on a regular basis now and I have completely stopped door knocking. More often than not, I don't have enough time in the day and when I do find cracks of time, I'm too lazy/tired to expel the extra needed effort it would take to door knock. I started working again Jan 5th and I am currently at 32K so far for the month using the ALL SET APPTS strategy. Am I leaving $ on the table? Absolutely, but since I'm running approx 6-8 appointments a day, 5-6 days a week and averaging about 10K/week I don't find it necessary to door knock. I'm making the MOST AP using this strategy and I am the MORE EFFICIENT while employing this strategy. Yes, I'm also spending the most using this strategy BUT my ROI is at its highest running it this way.

It's hard to give up my ALMOST GUARANTEED $1,500-$2,000 day for a day of blind door knocking. When I have 7 appointments, I have a pretty good idea what my day should end up like.

Something close to this:

3 appts= $500+...1 no show/reschedule...2 sits...1 sale (1-2 applications usually)
5 appts= $1,000+...2 no shows/reschedules...3 sits...2 sales (2-3 applications usually)
7 appts= $1,500+...3 no shows/reschedules...4 sits...3 sales (3-5 applications usually)

(The more appointments I have the higher the likelihood I will have at least 1 husband and wife sale for the day from that 1 appointment)

I don't know if I can keep up this pace for long BUT I'll run like this until I can't. Probably only until the end of February when I will be called for duty...DADDY DUTY that is!

I love this post! 10000% true in my experience. I started out in this business with a door knock ONLY approach because my IMO discouraged any & all phone contact. It was a horrible experience and a huge waste of time & money. I thought the business wasn't for me and doubted my abilities until I gave it another try with a different IMO. They encouraged the appointment approach - in my first month - I doubled the amount of production (even w/ taking less leads - I only take 15) that I did in the 4 MONTHS I was at the other place. I was flabbergasted comparing the numbers. In my experience, I would say there's far more advantages to appointment setting than door knocking. It feels good to arrive at a client's home with a warm welcome and they know to expect you and have set aside time to meet with you. Of course there's your occasional "no shows" but whatever. Even still - catching people off guard and trying to intrude in their home is no bueno to me. Clearly there's many people who are very successful with DK but it ain't for me. DK is my last plan of action & that's after I have called during every part of the day and on weekends. I'd rather cover the constant calls on my phone bill under my unlimited plan than waste gas in my car (which ain't cheap here) going to the same houses hoping today's the day they will be home and they aren't.

Last edited:
I work in the field about a day and a half per week. I like going out of town and spending one night in the hotel. My best days are without question the ones with 5 to 7 scheduled appointments. 75 % of my appointments I will close. I believe it is dam near impossible to turn those numbers on a consistent basis knocking on doors.

Door knocking is a last resort for me. 30 years ago I worked combined insurance for about a year. It was the longest year of my life. I want to make my money as quickly as possible. And that doesn't include driving around all day hoping to catch somebody at home.

How late should you door knock leads that work during the day?
Do agents door knock when it's dark (winter time) ?

They already mailed the card back. Why add another obstacle along way. Take the card and knock.

"Hi, you must be _____ . My name is _____ and I'm with _______. The reason I'm here is because you sent me this card (show the card) and the company asked me to stop by and drop off this information. It'll only take few minutes. May I step in?"

Works 9 out of 10 times

I'm admittedly new to this but if you're getting in the door on 9 out of 10 people you talk to I'd love to follow you for a day. My (limited) experience has been 1 out of two will let me in, and half out of those that let me in I'll usually get an app.

Last edited:
I'm admittedly new to this but if you're getting in the door on 9 out of 10 people you talk to I'd love to follow you for a day. My (limited) experience has been 1 out of two will let me in, and out of those two I'll usually get one app.

Before insurance, did you study statistics?

I'm admittedly new to this but if you're getting in the door on 9 out of 10 people you talk to I'd love to follow you for a day. My (limited) experience has been 1 out of two will let me in, and half out of those that let me in I'll usually get an app.

It takes practice and persistence. The more you do it the better you'll get. I've been doing it for over 9 years and I make it a point to bring the original mailer they signed with me. I show it while doing my "front talk"

No way around it.. The only way to improve is through your own personal trial and error. At first, I feared DKing FE leads, never caught people at home and thought it impossible to get in. Now I catch almost everyone at home and rarely get porched. It's not a get rich quick scheme. You control your level of income by setting activity goals and doing whatever it takes to reach them. Good luck.

Back