Rural Areas or Big Cities?

The overwhelming majority of my clients come from the ghetto areas or lower income areas of a bigger city. I always thought it was because they are the type of person who is more likely inclined to answer and respond to a press one lead.

I like the fact that the typical leads can be closer together in terms of location, but the non pay rate and nsf accounts are much more prevalent. In my area, Michigan, rural leads are very spread out and I don't like driving 30 miles between appointments.

Always loved doing business under the shade or sitting by the flower gardens especially when they bring out the lemonade or southern sweet tea

Under the shade tree was where my family did a lot of work in the summer time. We didn't have AC so that's where my dad worked on tractors and equipment and where my momma prepared a lot of garden stuff for canning. I have spent many hours under the shade tree working and relaxing.

People in rural areas are more open and easier to deal with.

I've found this to be true as well. Imo people within city limits tend to be targeted more by different types of sales and therefore are less receptive. However, I wouldn't be able to servive on rural clients alone.

Working with a bunch of agents in all areas, the bottom line is, "it depends."

However, I like playing the odds in my favor, especially with a new agent starting, and the best way to do that is to go rural/small town.

Urban areas for most agents have a generally-larger amount of:

-No-shows (40% to 50% instead of 20% to 25% average)
-DE Cards (historically worst persistency and high indication of poverty-mindset)
-Lapses/Not Takens/Drop Offs

Much of this can be reduced significantly if one works rural/small town areas, as those in the country BS less and show more respect to strangers and the time they spend visiting them.

Hey Rearden,

Is your presentation style different when selling in the rural areas. For instance do you spend more time in the "warm up" phase?

Thanks,

Funguy

After reading the thread, I wanted to edit this.

Outside of my area - Philadelphia, this is probably much different.

In Philadelphia, you want virtually no part of the city itself.

Not only are the people scared from watching the news about 400 murders a year, but they are rough northeast types, and have chips on top of chips on their shoulders, walls of self defense mechanisms, and even the poor people are impossibly hard to please and self entitled.

In many areas, the poor people are AT LEAST friendly. Not in Philadelphia, save a few.

The inner suburbs of Philadelphia are almost as bad. Better rowhomes, bigger income, but more walls.

The outer suburbs and main line are even worse. If you aren't part of their church or temple, they won't look at you. Maybe steal your information and time.

However, the small towns 40 miles away and beyond - great. Not pretentious, welcoming, nice, concerned, and they value your time and trust you.

Farms - just as good - some people treat you as if you were a physician.

I never will work a city area again. Even when it was a $0 Medicare Advantage they still didn't trust ANYBODY, would lie to your face, waste your time, etc.

Last edited:
Back